HHMI’s research labs, like many others, do not reflect the demographic diversity of the U.S. population. As a result, we miss talent that we otherwise might have in science. That’s a problem – not only socially, but also scientifically. Read more >
As one measure of success, to date, 28 current or former HHMI scientists have been awarded a Nobel Prize. Read more >
HHMI has a unique opportunity to respond meaningfully to today’s challenges – in the scientific community, in classrooms, and in the public arena. It has established a leading position in public engagement as an organization with both a deep understanding of biological science and education and professional media production capabilities. HHMI has the potential for significant positive impact on a national scale. Two elements essential to making that impact are powerful partners and powerful content. Read more >
HHMI support is awarded through competitions that have specific objectives and eligibility criteria.
HHMI has an opportunity to collaborate with other scientific leaders to address these issues in concrete ways. Read more >
If you are an independent investigator:
- HHMI does not make grant awards for investigator-initiated research in the United States. Instead, HHMI employs independent investigators who work at leading research institutions around the United States under collaborative relationships with those institutions.
- HHMI does not award grants for clinical trials, drug testing, or research on health education, health-care delivery, or health services.
- HHMI does not provide support for sabbaticals or brief visits to laboratories.
If you are a student:
- HHMI provides funding to medical, dental, and veterinary students for biomedical research training only through the Medical Research Fellows Program.
- HHMI is not an academic or degree-granting institution and therefore cannot offer admission to a course of study.
- HHMI does not give scholarships or other financial assistance for study toward a baccalaureate degree, a master’s degree, a nursing or other allied health professions degree, or a dental degree.
- HHMI does not have a specific research training program for MD/PhD students nor does HHMI provide support for the final preparation of a dissertation, postdoctoral research by PhD scientists, or clinical training.
If you are a pre-K to 12th-grade educator:
- HHMI does not provide direct funding to pre-K to 12th-grade schools or school districts, nor does HHMI give grants directly to undergraduate students or to K-12 students and teachers.Learn about what HHMI funds and our funding policies.