National Taiwan University was formerly Taihoku (Taipei) Imperial University (TIU), which was founded by the Japanese in 1928. The first president of TIU was Dr. Taira Shidehara. Initially, TIU had two colleges: the Faculty of Literature and Politics, and the Faculty of Science and Agriculture. TIU had a total of 59 students. The Faculty of Medicinewas created in 1935 and the Faculty of Engineering in 1943. This is (1943) also when the Faculty of Science and Agriculture was divided into two colleges: the Faculty of Science, and the Faculty of Agriculture.
During the time of Taihoku Imperial University, each college consisted of “lectures”, which were conducted by professors including assistant professors, assistants, instructors and office employees. By 1945, the 5 colleges comprised 114 lectures with 382 students. In 1945, the Republic of China won the war of resistance against Japan, and Taiwan was handed over to the Nationalist government of China. On November 15 of that year, Taihoku Imperial University was formally transferred to Chinese administration and renamed as National Taiwan University, with Dr. Tsung-lo Lo appointed as the first President. It was Dr. Tsung-lo Lo, serving as the first president, who reorganized and renamed the school “National Taiwan University”. Academic departments were established, and the former divisions were renamed Colleges
The Faculty of Literature and Policitcs of TIU was divided into two colleges: the College of Liberal Arts and the College of Law. The University thus consisted of six colleges (Liberal Arts, Law, Science, Medicine, Engineering, and Agriculture) and had twenty-two departments with 500 odd students. The Evening Division, the College of Management, the College of Public Health, and the College of Electrical Engineering (renamed as the College of Electrical Engineering and Computer Science in 2000) were established respectively in 1967, 1987, 1993, and 1997. In 1999, the College of Social Sciences replaced the College of Law, and the Department of Law was upgraded to become the College of Law. The evening division and the Center of Continuing Education were also combined into the Division of Continuing Education & Professional Development. In 2002, the College of Agriculture was renamed the College of Bio-Resources and Agriculture. In 2003, the College of Life Science was established. As of the 2009 academic year, the University has a total of eleven colleges, 54 departments, 100 graduate institutes (which offer 100 Master’s programs and 91 doctoral programs), and 25 research centers: the Division of Population and Gender Studies, the Center for Condensed Matter Sciences, the Center for Biotechnology, Japanese Research Center, and the Biodiversity Center, etc. The number of students reached 33,000 in 2009.
Ching-Ray Chang (interim president) (張慶瑞)
Term of Office: June, 2017 – present
- President Chang was born in Taipei City in 1957. He received his doctorate degree from the University of California, San Diego, and served as Chair of the Department of Physics and Dean of the College of Science in NTU. He is now Interim President of NTU, Executive Vice President for Administrative Affairs, and Professor of the Department of Physics.